It’s 2017! It’s the time for new beginnings and bettering ourselves. Whether that means hitting the gym, eating better, or getting organized, this is the time of year where people resolve to better themselves. However, many people tend to forget one of the most important aspects of their lives-their homes. Many people forget to take the time to come up with resolutions to better their home. We’re here to help inspire you to make those changes on your home that you’ve been putting off. Whether it be something simple like switching up the home decor or something major like replacing a roof, now is the best time to sit down and make a list of the things you want to change in your home this year. We’ve got eight ideas to get you started. The rest is up to you!
1. Nix Indoor Condensation – Look for indoor condensation on windows and take corrective action.
2. Make a maintenance calendar – When did you buy your refrigerator? Is the warranty renewal period coming up? Do you even know? Now is the time to review warranties and product material to check on recommended maintenance for furnace, equipment, appliances, and tools. Mark your calendar to track scheduled upkeep and service. That way the warranty period doesn’t pass you up and you’re left
3. Accessorize, Accessorize, Accessorize – After the holiday decorations come down, your walls can feel a bit dull and empty. January is a great time to add new home decor accessories, like fresh throw pillows or framed photos of the past year’s activities. You can also move decor around so it still feels fresh. You can even start to move in some spring colors and styles. Be sure to gradually add in spring colors and designs. You don’t want to cause seasonal confusion.
4. Get ready for the big game – Although the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl have already passed, the Super Bowl is coming up fast! Start getting your invite list and meal ideas down. If you’re thinking about trying to make something new for the game, test it out with family and close friends. It’s better to know what needs to be fixed or nixed before it’s out on the table for guests.
5. Organize your files – While most paperwork is now maintained digitally, it’s still important to make sure you’re organized and backed up. Take an afternoon to sort through online statements, contacts and emails that piled up over the holidays. You can organize by type, month, or whatever way helps you keep track. And after all of that hard work, be sure to back up to a hard drive or cloud service. You can easily purchase an external hard drive from any tech store in your area. Prices will vary, so be sure to shop around for the best price. Also be sure to purchase the size that you need. There is no need for you to buy a 1 terabyte external hard drive if your computer only has 250 gigabytes.
6. Sort and toss – Take time to sort through your toiletry products in the bathroom and food items in the pantry. Toss anything that is old or expired and start fresh for the new year. You can also donate any canned products or toiletry products that are new or unopened that have not expired. There is no point in tossing something new that can’t help those in need.
7. Warm up your home – In many parts of the country, we’re dreaming of ways to add a little extra warmth around the house. Whether it’s adding in insulation, installing weather strips, or getting a smart thermostat, you can always add materials to make your home toasty in these cold winter months. The bonus? Many of these materials that will keep your home warm will also help keep your home cool in the summer.
8. Ready to Move? – If you’re thinking about moving this year, it’s important for you to start getting your materials ready. There’s a lot to do, which is why we’ve got numerous articles already written telling you what you should do before you buy or sell your home.
Ready to buy or sell in the Nevada County area? Give us a call!